Thursday, September 02, 2004

VV's Strip Club Blogger Weighs In

As you know I have been crushing hard on the Village Voice's strip club waitress/blogger. Today she writes:

"The convention has brought in a number of new groups�the Coast Guard, the police�but this was the first one connected to the protest movement. Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not, as ... union members talked with the strippers (who later declared them 'really fucking cheap'), the staff discussed the previous day's arrests. The consensus among those who had, in fact, sampled the 'mystery meat' of the city's jails was that risking arrest in any way showed complete idiocy.

"It is pragmatism, then, that keeps my co-workers off the street, for they are overwhelmingly anti-Bush. The Republicans are appreciated for their money (although the delegates from out of town are decidedly low tippers), not their policies. It was 'America's mayor,' indeed, who forced the club to build along the desolate streets of the far West Side, outside of the heart of the city. The Federal Communications Commissions' campaign to sanitize the content of a certain shock jock's programming have further angered the dancers. And certainly the GOP's ignoring of certain sectors of the population doesn't help.

"Yesterday I saw a youngish Republican point to the sparkly dot on the forehead of the South Asian dancer gracing his lap. 'What's that?' he asked. 'A bindi,' she answered matter-of-factly. 'A what?' he asked. 'A bindi.' They went back and forth in this way for some time before she said, with some hostility, 'It's my heritage.'"

"This sort of tension has been brewing for several days now. If the Republicans, buoyed by Bush's nomination, get randy tomorrow night, it may boil over."

Okay, there are several points come to mind: a) strippers really care about the FCC's Howard Stern fines? Why? Has he cut back on strippers on the show since the fines were instituted? b) Are there really some places so bumfuck that one has never seen an Indian with a bindi on their forehead? And, surely, those are red states, if indeed they do exist. c) will Bushie's acceptance of the nomination cause havok in the strip clubs from "sexed up" Republicans, and, finally, d) what does this waitress look like? As you can see I'm more than a little bit smitten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron,

I am the strip club waitress. Well, no more, really. I'm quitting tomorrow. I'm going to miss the people who work at the club -- I've gotten sort of attached to them in the last two months -- but this week wore me out.

Thank you so much for linking to me. Your own blog is something, too. It's so thorough! I'll be reading it.

If you like, you can email me at mara.hvistendahl@gmail.com (look at the Voice site -- my name is up there now).

Mara

The Corsair said...

I heart the strip club waitress. Hey, editors in NYC -- and I know you read this blog -- Mara is tha bomb!