Monday, December 10, 2007

Kissinger Speaks At Yale Law School



How ironic that someone so vehemently against the very concept of international law shoud speak at a law school. Then again, never underestimate those ironists at New Haven. From The Yale Daily News:

"Whatever the purpose of Henry Kissinger's inclusion on a panel discussion at the Law School Thursday night, it was not for comic relief. But he managed to earn a few laughs anyway.

"'I was not, and for that matter I am still not, exactly clear what I'm doing here,' the former secretary of state began his remarks, eliciting laugher and applause, 'I'm not supposed to be a principal speaker. So if I confine myself to 10 minutes or less, you can all say you were present at a historical occasion.'

"He spoke for 21."

This reminds me of the old line that Henry Kissinger's brother, Walter, was asked once how it was that he, who is one year older than the former Secretary of State, spoke American English sans accent, while his brother still sounded positively Metternichian. The answer: Henry ... just doesn't listen.

No comments: