Saturday, June 08, 2013

Media-Whore D'Oeuvres


"Fashion designer John Galliano, in his first-ever sober interview, tells Vanity Fair contributing editor Ingrid Sischy that, in spite of his words, he is not an anti-Semite or a racist. 'It’s the worst thing I have said in my life, but I didn’t mean it. . . . I have been trying to find out why that anger was directed at this race. I now realize I was so fucking angry and so discontent with myself that I just said the most spiteful thing I could.' Galliano tells Sischy that he has been sober for over two years now and that theirs is the first interview he has ever given sober. Of his drinking and drug use in the years leading up to the outburst, Galliano says, 'I was going to end up in a mental asylum or six feet under.' Sischy reports that Galliano has spent the last couple of years learning about what he has to do to keep his illness at bay, facing up to what went wrong in his life, and taking certain steps to atone, including reading books on the Holocaust and Jewish history, meeting with Jewish leaders, and reaching out to members of the larger fashion community, including retailers, as part of the process of making amends and possibly returning to work. Reflecting on his last two years of sobriety and struggles to come to terms with his words and actions, Galliano says that he knows 'it sounds a bit bizarre, but I am so grateful for what did happen. I have learned so much about myself. I have re-discovered that little boy who had the hunger to create, which I think I had lost. I am alive.'" (VanityFair)



"Naomi Campbell is still fuming months after her breakup with Russian mogul boyfriend Vladimir Doronin — and she’s now apparently trying to get his new girlfriend, Luo Zilin, fired by her Chinese modeling agent. Luo — who as an aspiring model was mentored by Campbell on her reality show 'The Face' and was even on 'Team Naomi' — was seen frolicking on Vlad’s yacht and canoodling at his villa in Ibiza, and was promptly fired by her management firm in Europe for alleged 'unprofessional conduct' and an 'unacceptable work ethic.' Now a source tells us, 'Naomi has been calling colleagues in the industry to try and stop Luo’s career. She is trying to take this woman out for no reason other than dating her ex-boyfriend. 'Luo was fired by her management firm, and her Chinese agent has been asked to drop her. Naomi is trying to wreck her career. She has a lot of power in the modeling world,' our source said.Page Six exclusively revealed Naomi, 42, and Vlad, 50, broke up earlier this year. We hear they split in January and finalized the break in March. The source explained, 'They broke up because there were too many ups and downs, and you can only deal with that for so long. Vlad wishes Naomi well. He just wants to move on with his life, but she won’t let him.' The source said Vlad was surprised to see paparazzi shots of himself with Luo at his secluded villa in Ibiza, adding, 'Only a few people know the location of that villa. It’s hard to find, and he suspects she told the paparazzi.'" (PageSix)



"On Monday, June 3, the New York Public Library held its Spring Dinner for Education at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building on Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street, with cocktails at 6:30 p.m. and dinner and the evening's program at 7:30 p.m. The event honored NYPL trustee Abby Milstein and her husband Howard. The event featured remarks by Brian Williams and a performance by musician Diana Krall. Co-Chairs were Katerina and Andreas Dracopoulos, Lisa and Richard Plepler, and Merryl and James Tisch. Vice Chairs were Barbara and Evan Chesler, Elyse and Michael Newhouse, and Loren Eng and Dinakar Singh." (NYSocialDiary)



"I don’t want to get Jonah Lehrer in any more trouble than he’s in already, but I felt like I needed to come forward and warn Simon and Schuster about something that’ll piss them off royally if they hear about it later. You know that book proposal he was shopping where he wants to write about love and stuff? A lot of what’s in there, as described in The New York Times, is taken straight out of the notes, texts, and emails he sent me in high school, when he had such a big crush on me that my friends started calling him The Boner With Rimless Eyeglasses. Jonah was a cute kid but not my type: a quiet, shy, tiny, freshman nerd. I was a senior, and I was… hmmm, what’s the best way to put this so I don’t sound stuck up? I’ll start by quoting something interesting the school principal said to me once. 'Rikki,' he said, 'you are the toughest, roughest, sexiest, dirtiest-looking bitch in this entire school.' Obviously, that comment was not appropriate coming from a school official, but, in fairness, it was said during a stressful moment for Mr. Thayer. He had just caught me beating the shit out of a Coke machine that took my money, and in the middle of yelling at me about that, he 'lost it' and tried to mack on my neck. Still, I like to believe the old fucker was speaking from the heart. I often had that effect on people, which is why I was unanimously voted in the yearbook as Girl Most Likely To Be Slut-Shamed by a Gym Teacher. Make no mistake: I was not the 'prettiest' girl in our school. Nor was I 'the most popular,' 'the most athletic,' or 'the smartest.' But I was the one who had sex with all four of those girls’ boyfriends, and they knew that if they said anything about it, I would kick their asses. Back to Jonah. The first time he saw me, I was striding down the hallway full thrust, wearing jeans that made my ass look like something that could start a war between rival Starfleet Federations. He took one glance, banged his locker door into his forehead, and started making chipmunk noises." (TheAwl)

No comments: